|Department Order:||#18-02||Effective Date: July 1, 2018|
|Index as:||Parking Citation – Proof of Indigence|
PROOF OF INDIGENCE DIRECTIVE
I. POLICY AND PURPOSE
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
This policy ensures that the Ripon Police Department is operating within Assembly Bill 503 and Assembly Bill 2544, by providing a description of indigent and acceptable documentation for proof of indigence, to be used in collecting fees for parking citations.
A person is “indigent” if they meet any of the following conditions:
- The person meets the income criteria set forth in subdivision (b) of Section 68632 of the Government Code.
- The person receives public benefits from any of the programs listed in subdivision (a) of Section 68632 of the Government Code.
Government Code Section 68632:
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- California Work Opportunity (CalWorks)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps)
- County Relief, General Relief (GR) or General Assistance (GA)
- Cash Assistance Program for Aged, Blind and Disabled Legal Immigrants
- In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)
An applicant whose monthly income is 125 percent or less of the current poverty guidelines updated periodically in the Federal Register by the United States Department of Health and Human Services.
PROOF OF INDIGENCE
The person may demonstrate that he or she is indigent by providing either of the following information, as applicable:
(A) Proof of income from a pay stub or another form of proof of earnings, such as a bank statement that shows the individual meets the income criteria set forth in subdivision (b) of Section 68632 of the Government Code.
(B) Proof of receipt of benefits under the programs described in subdivision (a) of Section 68632 of the Government Code. Proof of receipt will consist of a copy of the most recent verification of benefits form, Notice of Action (Approval) Letter or Award Letter.
If a person has no income or does not receive Public Assistance, a copy of their yearly earnings from the Social Security Department is required for proof.
Cancellation of an issued directive will be made by the Chief of Police.
By the order of:
Signature of Agency Authority/Title